Gistmania is a forum that covers current Nigerian discussion/gists/gossips covers celebrities, sports, politics and lot more! Please Register or Login

London Woman Jailed For Sending Her Son Back To Nigeria

[1] 2 3 4 ... 9
London Woman Jailed For Sending Her Son Back To Nigeria on: 15 Feb 11, 02:23 PM (5 years ago) by
(11565 | Hero)
Online (m)
A London woman who sent her teenage son to their native Nigeria because she disapproved of his lifestyle has been jailed for eight months.

Edirin Onogeta-Idogun, 17, from Newham, flew from the UK to Nigeria last July.


Edirin Onogeta-Idogun moved to London seven years ago



His parents Lydia Erhire and John Idogun were issued with a court order to return the boy, who is believed to be with his father in Lagos.

When they failed to do so, Mrs Erhire was convicted at the Old Bailey of being in contempt of court.

Edirin was born in Nigeria but moved to London with his mother seven years ago.

He had been studying for his GCSEs and had been due to transfer to a college in Hackney to study business and media.
'Significant risk'

Last year he feared he may be taken to Nigeria and forced to marry against his will, his solicitors said, and a Forced Marriage Protection Order was issued on 8 July.

He attended school for the final time on 12 July and it is thought he flew to the African country about four days later.

The High Court ruled Edirin was a resident of England and was entitled to continue to live there.

His removal from England was contrary to the protection order and he was at "significant risk" while in Nigeria, it decided.
Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 11, 03:03 PM (5 years ago) by
sobeit (7540 | Hero)
(m)
hmmm na wa ooo,serious issue
Reply
Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 11, 03:19 PM (5 years ago) by
monteeiyke (55 | Newbie)
(m)
There most be somthing else  to it. No parent will be jailed if both the father and mother decieds on where the child lives
Reply
Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 11, 03:20 PM (5 years ago) by
ajanni (97682 | Grande Master)
(m)
Quote from: nametalkam on 15 Feb 11, 02:23 PM
A London woman who sent her teenage son to their native Nigeria because she disapproved of his lifestyle has been jailed for eight months.

Edirin Onogeta-Idogun, 17, from Newham, flew from the UK to Nigeria last July.


Edirin Onogeta-Idogun moved to London seven years ago



His parents Lydia Erhire and John Idogun were issued with a court order to return the boy, who is believed to be with his father in Lagos.

When they failed to do so, Mrs Erhire was convicted at the Old Bailey of being in contempt of court.

Edirin was born in Nigeria but moved to London with his mother seven years ago.

He had been studying for his GCSEs and had been due to transfer to a college in Hackney to study business and media.
'Significant risk'

Last year he feared he may be taken to Nigeria and forced to marry against his will, his solicitors said, and a Forced Marriage Protection Order was issued on 8 July.

He attended school for the final time on 12 July and it is thought he flew to the African country about four days later.

The High Court ruled Edirin was a resident of England and was entitled to continue to live there.

His removal from England was contrary to the protection order and he was at "significant risk" while in Nigeria, it decided.


A very lucky boy
Reply
Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 11, 03:37 PM (5 years ago) by
yukicares4u (2137 | Gistmaniac)
(f)
hmmm kinda shallow 2 swallow! Undecided
Reply
Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 11, 03:44 PM (5 years ago) by
Pointzero (5507 | Gistmaniac)
(m)
dis is d negative effect of civilisation..................4 a son 2 sue the mother cos he was sent back home,due to his insubordination.

Reply
Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 11, 04:01 PM (5 years ago) by
olabimpebalogun (3 | Newbie)
(f)
Quote from: ajanni on 15 Feb 11, 03:20 PM
Quote from: nametalkam on 15 Feb 11, 02:23 PM
A London woman who sent her teenage son to their native Nigeria because she disapproved of his lifestyle has been jailed for eight months.

Edirin Onogeta-Idogun, 17, from Newham, flew from the UK to Nigeria last July.


Edirin Onogeta-Idogun moved to London seven years ago



His parents Lydia Erhire and John Idogun were issued with a court order to return the boy, who is believed to be with his father in Lagos.

When they failed to do so, Mrs Erhire was convicted at the Old Bailey of being in contempt of court.

Edirin was born in Nigeria but moved to London with his mother seven years ago.

He had been studying for his GCSEs and had been due to transfer to a college in Hackney to study business and media.
'Significant risk'

Last year he feared he may be taken to Nigeria and forced to marry against his will, his solicitors said, and a Forced Marriage Protection Order was issued on 8 July.

He attended school for the final time on 12 July and it is thought he flew to the African country about four days later.

The High Court ruled Edirin was a resident of England and was entitled to continue to live there.

His removal from England was contrary to the protection order and he was at "significant risk" while in Nigeria, it decided.


A very lucky boy
Reply
Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 11, 04:09 PM (5 years ago) by
olabimpebalogun (3 | Newbie)
(f)
Make Nigeria ambassador telling them say no be so we dey do am for we country.
Reply
Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:03 PM (5 years ago) by
JOYGAL (5 | Newbie)
(f)
Dis surprising...dt a court wud send a mother to jail simply bcos she wants to instill discipline in her son by sending him to her native country where she knows can be done properly......dis bad joooor!
Reply
Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:05 PM (5 years ago) by
ezesunny (252 | Upcoming)
(m)
if thewoman go am tell then that my son want to school here , they will say know we will deport him, now they carry him home they want him back yeye london
Reply
Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:06 PM (5 years ago) by
truthisbitter (273 | Upcoming)
(m)
HMMMMMMMMMM..............THE BOY IS LUCKY
Reply
Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:06 PM (5 years ago) by
okwas (599 | Upcoming)
(m)
hummmmmmmm just like that,nawaoooooooo
Reply
Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:14 PM (5 years ago) by
ikennaya (248 | Upcoming)
(m)
Quote from: olabimpebalogun on 15 Feb 11, 04:09 PM
Make Nigeria ambassador telling them say no be so we dey do am for we country.
well its not naija...madam...dats y d country never stil progress...do u understand wat human rites are...dey dont joke wid it over dere esp kids.
Reply
Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:38 PM (5 years ago) by
RocketShip (146 | Upcoming)
(m)
na wa oh!!! has it gotten to this??? i can't decide what to do to my son again...this can never happen in nigeria
Reply
Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:49 PM (5 years ago) by
chik001 (1461 | Gistmaniac)
(m)
Quote from: monteeiyke on 15 Feb 11, 03:19 PM
There most be somthing else  to it. No parent will be jailed if both the father and mother decieds on where the child lives

My bro...when you tell people something like this...they wont believe...but it's true because every pikin born here is  registered as a britico subject and the thereby belongs to the government...you are just a custodian...
Reply
Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:50 PM (5 years ago) by
Mma4life (44 | Newbie)
(f)
Quote from: olabimpebalogun on 15 Feb 11, 04:09 PM
Make Nigeria ambassador telling them say no be so we dey do am for we country.
Reply
Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 11, 05:53 PM (5 years ago) by
chik001 (1461 | Gistmaniac)
(m)
Even if the your child is not born here...but you registered your child so as to obtain child benefit...that child or children are automatically government property...they can sue you for anything...
Reply
Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 11, 06:27 PM (5 years ago) by
interpo77 (4626 | Gistmaniac)
(m)
this is act of sturbbonness from both side,the boy knew very well what he has being doing which the parents disaprove
and the mother might be thinking better for the kid but cannt hold to complete  the court,s oreder
european countries specifically western europes do take such cases very serious,
one must be bund to their law and systems
Reply
Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 11, 06:30 PM (5 years ago) by
interpo77 (4626 | Gistmaniac)
(m)
i have seen a woman  jailed for 8 years for taken her daughter out
knowen well that the court  has giving orders not to do such
Reply
Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 11, 06:31 PM (5 years ago) by
supernedee (82 | Newbie)
(m)
mmhhmmm
Reply
[1] 2 3 4 ... 9

Login To Reply

July Leaders

BournIdentity(11700) - yawa_don_gas(7018) - EDDYPRINCE(6166) - Novic(1885) - Vectorcy(1581) - kison(985) - okatee(796) - slimmygal(796) - dickieponga(722) - gogoman(661) - winace(604) - scottchris(456) - OLUCHI5(452) - morgan1(415) - CHRISETTE(407) - GermoDon(399) - zezprincess(381) - zoe61(372) - beneno(353) - Kennycynth(336) -
View more

Gistmania Boards