World Aids Day: Nigeria Records Decline In New Hiv Infections

[1] 2 3
at 10:31 PM, 30 Nov 12 (4 years ago)
(10074 | Hero) (m)
«§» 30 November 2012

Nigeria recorded 300,000 new cases in 2012., even as the country was ranked as number eight among 12 countries in the world that have recorded a decline in the new Human Immuno-deficiency Virus, HIV, infection rate.



However,Benue state still leads other states in the federation in HIV prevalence with a prevalence rate of 10.7 percent,while Kebbi state, with 1.0% recorded the least prevalence rate in the country.

Benue

State is closely followed by Akwa Ibom with 10 percent,BayelsaState; 9.1 percent and Anambra, 8.1 percent.

InKadunawhich recorded 5.1 percent from seven percent in 2008, Governor Patrick Yakowa promised to ensure zero prevalence in the years to come, as according to him, government would do everything within its power to educate the people and provide drugs for HIV/AIDS patients..

Statistics released by the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research at a programme to mark this year’s World AIDS Day yesterday in Lagosshowed that Nigeriaand 11 other countries recorded 20 percent reduction in new infection rate between 2001 and 2011.
OFFICIALS of the Anambra State AIDS Control Agency, ANSACA, expressed worry over the 8.7% HIV/AIDS prevalence rate in the state which ranks it fourth in the country, saying that serious measures were being adopted to reduce the scourge.

TheBayelsaStategovernment has reaffirmed its commitment to the wellbeing of people living with HIV/AIDS, according to Governor Seriake dickson who spoke at a charity football match between the Creek Haven Young Stars and Creek Haven All Stars to mark the 2012 World HIV/AIDS Day at the Government House, Yenagoa.

dickson said government has approved stipends for patients  through the State Agency for the Control of HIV/AIDS,  BYSACA.

Sharp decline in the number of people being infected with HIV since 2001 have occurred in the Caribbean (42 percent)and sub-SaharanAfrica(25percent). But the prevalence increased in the Middle East and North Africa, while nine percent was recorded inEast Asia.

However, there are no decline in HIV related death rates both inNigeriaandAfrica. According to the statistics, in 2008, the annual death rate inNigeriawas 192,000 but has risen to 217,148 deaths which may not be unconnected to lack of access to treatment. Out of 1.5 million Nigerians confirmed to be HIV positive, only 500,000 have access to antiretroviral drugs, which is key to managing the disease according to the National Agency for the Control of AIDS, NACA, Director- General, Prof John Idoko.

Reeling out these statistics in Review of the National Response to HIV& AIDS”, the Dr. Oliver Ezechi, Clinical Sciences Division, NIMR, explained that the global theme for this year is “Getting to Zero AIDS Related Deaths” while the national theme is “Resourcing the National Response towards getting to the zero related AIDS deaths”

Speaking in another forum to mark the Day inLagos, Director/Head, Clinical Services Department,Institute of Human VirologyNigeria, Dr Ernest  Ekong stressed that there is need for all to be committed to achieving zero new infections, zero discrimination against people living with HIV and zero AIDS related deaths.

Ekong  further noted that : “Sub-Saharan Africa remains most severely affected, with nearly 1 in every 20s(4.9 percent)  living with HIV and accounting for 69 percent of the people living with HIV worldwide. Although the regional prevalence of HIV infection is nearly 25 times higher in Sub-Saharan Africa than in Asia, almost 5 million people are living with HIV in South-South-East andEast Asiacombined.

“After Sub –Saharan Africa, the regions most heavily affected are the Caribbean and Eastern Europe andCentral Asia, where 1.0 percent of adults where living with HIV in 2011.”

Ekong noted that it is a critical issue that although approximately 1,555,780 People Living with HIV (PLHIV) require anti-retroviral drugs, about one third of the group are currently on treatment.”The gender dynamics in the profile of infections and the growing burden of the 2.2 million HIV orphans inNigeriahas made it necessary for the revised policy to critically address the rising HIV prevalence among women, the expansion in number of orphans and  vulnerable  children.

Other critical issues which the revised policy should also address,  Ekong further stated include the stigmatization of PLHIV and violation of their rights as well as their roles and responsibilities, the differences in communication messages  on abstinence, condom use etc in post-primary educational institutions, and “the issues associated with increased access to treatment and care,” he said.Ojukwu’s Will read, Bianca highly favoured

winace at 05:13 AM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(30675 | Addicted Hero) (f)
D statistic was nt rite b4 cus they didn't go house by house to check people status . It was on assumtion.
Reply
micc at 08:32 AM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(9729 | Hero) (m)
I c
Reply
Unikly at 11:12 AM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(639 | Upcoming) (f)
Ok....
Reply
praytoGod4help at 11:29 AM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(272 | Upcoming) (m)
Ok
Reply
Windows8 at 11:32 AM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(238 | Upcoming) (f)
 Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
Reply
mary11 at 11:38 AM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(18537 | Hero) (m)
Thank God Ebonyi state no follow 4 dis HIV contest

Reply
Activated at 12:02 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(665 | Upcoming) (m)
Quote from: winace on 05:13 AM,  1 Dec 12
D statistic was nt rite b4 cus they didn't go house by house to check people status . It was on assumtion.

Just like the census they had in Nigeria, talk say Kano has more population than Lagos. Your findings are as usual immature and not concrete enough.
Figures put up to make believe
Reply
dabattleaxe at 12:12 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(364 | Upcoming) (m)
I think my people are becoming more aware of the deadly HIV virus, if the news is true o.
Reply
osamabinladin at 12:48 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(13670 | Hero) (m)
ok
Reply
proly at 02:18 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(13927 | Hero) (f)
k
Reply
jamesbondchick at 02:19 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(3687 | Gistmaniac) (f)
Ok oh

Reply
xband at 02:27 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(595 | Upcoming) (m)
Quote from: mary11 on 11:38 AM,  1 Dec 12
Thank God Ebonyi state no follow 4 dis HIV contest
They haven't gone house to house to do the final estimate. Please tell your Ebonyi girls make them play self cause I get them plenty like water.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Reply
Frank_estony at 03:55 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(137 | Upcoming) (m)
Thank God ABA no follow. ABA for life.
Reply
Biafranwar at 04:09 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(2904 | Gistmaniac) (m)
Ok
Reply
aso4life1 at 04:55 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(11641 | Hero) (m)
 Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Reply
dlimelite at 04:58 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(14078 | Hero) (f)
Quote from: xband on 02:27 PM,  1 Dec 12
They haven't gone house to house to do the final estimate. Please tell your Ebonyi girls make them play self cause I get them plenty like waterTongue Tongue Tongue
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked So it's true you be  Lips Sealed Grin Grin Grin Grin
Reply
Chericoco at 07:54 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(1425 | Gistmaniac) (f)
The figures are dead wrong. How many people go for testing? People sick and die no one knows the cause. Some people prefer not to know their status. We just need to practice safe sex or abstain.let those figures not deceived us, there are more cases unrecorded and unknown.
Reply
kadda88 at 08:07 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(241 | Upcoming) (f)
Quote from: franel on 10:31 PM, 30 Nov 12
«§» 30 November 2012

Nigeria recorded 300,000 new cases in 2012., even as the country was ranked as number eight among 12 countries in the world that have recorded a decline in the new Human Immuno-deficiency Virus, HIV, infection rate.

However,Benue state still leads other states in the federation in HIV prevalence with a prevalence rate of 10.7 percent,while Kebbi state, with 1.0% recorded the least prevalence rate in the country.

Benue

State is closely followed by Akwa Ibom with 10 percent,BayelsaState; 9.1 percent and Anambra, 8.1 percent.

InKadunawhich recorded 5.1 percent from seven percent in 2008, Governor Patrick Yakowa promised to ensure zero prevalence in the years to come, as according to him, government would do everything within its power to educate the people and provide drugs for HIV/AIDS patients..

Statistics released by the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research at a programme to mark this year’s World AIDS Day yesterday in Lagosshowed that Nigeriaand 11 other countries recorded 20 percent reduction in new infection rate between 2001 and 2011.
OFFICIALS of the Anambra State AIDS Control Agency, ANSACA, expressed worry over the 8.7% HIV/AIDS prevalence rate in the state which ranks it fourth in the country, saying that serious measures were being adopted to reduce the scourge.

TheBayelsaStategovernment has reaffirmed its commitment to the wellbeing of people living with HIV/AIDS, according to Governor Seriake dickson who spoke at a charity football match between the Creek Haven Young Stars and Creek Haven All Stars to mark the 2012 World HIV/AIDS Day at the Government House, Yenagoa.

dickson said government has approved stipends for patients  through the State Agency for the Control of HIV/AIDS,  BYSACA.

Sharp decline in the number of people being infected with HIV since 2001 have occurred in the Caribbean (42 percent)and sub-SaharanAfrica(25percent). But the prevalence increased in the Middle East and North Africa, while nine percent was recorded inEast Asia.

However, there are no decline in HIV related death rates both inNigeriaandAfrica. According to the statistics, in 2008, the annual death rate inNigeriawas 192,000 but has risen to 217,148 deaths which may not be unconnected to lack of access to treatment. Out of 1.5 million Nigerians confirmed to be HIV positive, only 500,000 have access to antiretroviral drugs, which is key to managing the disease according to the National Agency for the Control of AIDS, NACA, Director- General, Prof John Idoko.

Reeling out these statistics in Review of the National Response to HIV& AIDS”, the Dr. Oliver Ezechi, Clinical Sciences Division, NIMR, explained that the global theme for this year is “Getting to Zero AIDS Related Deaths” while the national theme is “Resourcing the National Response towards getting to the zero related AIDS deaths”

Speaking in another forum to mark the Day inLagos, Director/Head, Clinical Services Department,Institute of Human VirologyNigeria, Dr Ernest  Ekong stressed that there is need for all to be committed to achieving zero new infections, zero discrimination against people living with HIV and zero AIDS related deaths.

Ekong  further noted that : “Sub-Saharan Africa remains most severely affected, with nearly 1 in every 20s(4.9 percent)  living with HIV and accounting for 69 percent of the people living with HIV worldwide. Although the regional prevalence of HIV infection is nearly 25 times higher in Sub-Saharan Africa than in Asia, almost 5 million people are living with HIV in South-South-East andEast Asiacombined.

“After Sub –Saharan Africa, the regions most heavily affected are the Caribbean and Eastern Europe andCentral Asia, where 1.0 percent of adults where living with HIV in 2011.”

Ekong noted that it is a critical issue that although approximately 1,555,780 People Living with HIV (PLHIV) require anti-retroviral drugs, about one third of the group are currently on treatment.”The gender dynamics in the profile of infections and the growing burden of the 2.2 million HIV orphans inNigeriahas made it necessary for the revised policy to critically address the rising HIV prevalence among women, the expansion in number of orphans and  vulnerable  children.

Other critical issues which the revised policy should also address,  Ekong further stated include the stigmatization of PLHIV and violation of their rights as well as their roles and responsibilities, the differences in communication messages  on abstinence, condom use etc in post-primary educational institutions, and “the issues associated with increased access to treatment and care,” he said.Ojukwu’s Will read, Bianca highly favoured

 Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
Reply
Ifemylove at 09:09 PM, 1 Dec 12 (4 years ago)
(4720 | Gistmaniac) (f)
i see
Reply
[1] 2 3

LATEST COMMENTS

  1. SweetDaddy1 on: “Pastor Adeboye Is Creating Business Centres, Not Churches”- Human Right Lawyer, Femi Falana
    [b]Religion is business and all houses of worship are business centres ⛪️... 26 mins ago ago
  2. OkeEyitayo on: Pastor Chris Ojigbani Says It Is A Sin To Pay Or Receive Tithes
    heresy... 31 mins ago ago
  3. james987 on: Peter Of Psquare Puts Paul and Jude To Shame With a Cracking Debut Single - Cool It Down -Watch
    I think say them say you no sabi?? But na wetin all the bruhaha be all about? If na this go bring pe... 31 mins ago ago
  4. fineboy77 on: Yahoo Plus! Nigerian Student Jailed For 4 Years In The US Over $3.7m Internet Fraud
    Igbos aiming high through the good,the bad and the ugly. Abeg make we take am easy,hardwork pays... 40 mins ago ago
  5. fineboy77 on: Nigerian Man Arrested In Brazil For Allegedly Killing Wife Of His Nigerian Debtor Over N360K (Vi
    We dash dem dat one,make una keep am there forever... 41 mins ago ago

October Leaders

BournIdentity(1358) - ruthie(785) - kixme(748) - kacylee(318) - gogoman(290) - fineboy77(284) - bayonel3(258) - felicilin(184) - clarajancita(155) - itumopapa(133) - Wazubia(117) - james987(112) - proly(106) - officynero(103) - bohlah(95) - benosky4(95) - Otikadinje(85) - victorstic1(82) - Dramaking(76) - CHRISETTE(76) -