Independence Tragedy! Two Children Burnt To Death In Fire Incident Caused By Candle Light In Lagos

Published 2 years ago by: kacy lee
at 06:48 AM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)

(25197 | Addicted Hero) (f)


Gloom enveloped Bola Oyewo Street, Ifako-Ijaiye, Lagos State, on Sunday after two siblings were killed in a fire incident.

The kids were identified simply as four-year-old Olawale Akingbesote and his brother, Adesire, aged 2.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the deceased, their elder brother and their mother were together around 9pm on Saturday.

It was gathered that the mother went out to buy some items in the neighbourhood after the children had gone  to sleep.

She was said to have lit a candle to illuminate the apartment before leaving as there was power outage.

Our correspondent was told that while the mother was away, the candle burnt down and consumed a table it was placed on. It later spread to the clothes beside the table.

It was learnt that firefighters from the Lagos State Fire Service, officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and policemen from the Iju Police Division responded to distress calls from residents, but the two kids had died before help could come their way.

The unnamed elder brother was, however, rescued with the support of the residents, while the fire was eventually put out.

A resident, Moshood Ibrahim, said the fire had spread to other parts of the room before a neighbour became aware and raised the alarm.

He stated that the distraught mother and the survivor had temporarily relocated to a relative’s house.

He said, “Their mother went out that evening to quickly get some items on the street, but she returned late. The candle had burnt to some level before she left home. Her thinking was that she would come back early.
“She did not put out the candle fire because she did not want the children to sleep in a dark room. Their father was not around. Two of the children were suffocated by the fumes, but their elder brother was rescued and rushed to a hospital. Everybody was devastated by the incident.”
An emergency official, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said the survivor was rescued behind the apartment door.

“He should be about eight years old. He managed to force his way from the fire into the back of the door, where we rescued him,” he added.
The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasaq Fadipe, confirmed the fire and the deaths.

 He said, “When we arrived at the scene, fire was still on in the room where the kids lost their lives. The information we gathered was that the mother went out and the father was not around as well. The two kids were inside the room and the candle was alight. It was the candle that caused the inferno.
“We were able to rescue one of the children and saved other rooms from being affected by the fire. It happened around 9.30pm and our fire station at Agege responded to the emergency.”

Fadipe stated that the agency also responded to fire incidents at a one-storeyed building on Wole Bamiduro Street in the Ahmadiyya area of the state, as well as a bungalow on Oseni Liadi Street, in the Okota area of the state.

“No casualty was recorded in the two incidents. We urge residents to discontinue the use of candles at homes. It is very delicate and has been consuming lives. There are rechargeable lamps and torches that are cheap and risk-free.
“I want to admonish politicians, who have been carrying out series of empowerment programme, to include torches and rechargeable lamps in the materials they have been providing for the populace. This will go a long way in preventing loss of lives and property.”

Problem with this article? Please contact us



officynero at 08:29 AM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(1462 | Gistmaniac) (m)

na wa o
Reply
Dramaking at 08:45 AM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(1690 | Gistmaniac) (m)

Smh... Na Sense supposed fall on that woman and not banana.. #SHAME.
Reply
Ashantifreda at 09:02 AM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(19 | Newbie) (f)

God have mercy,R.I.P
Reply
christianity at 10:21 AM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(7322 | Gistmaniac) (m)

so sad that the so called leaders contributed to this childrens death.cos there is no place in the world that lamps and candles is being used again if not in africa.rip to them
Reply
BournIdentity at 11:21 AM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(46064 | Addicted Hero) (m)

Shocked                                                                         
Reply
BournIdentity at 11:44 AM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(46064 | Addicted Hero) (m)

Chhaaaiiiiiii,,..,                                                        
Reply
crocatum at 06:03 PM, 2/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(4594 | Gistmaniac) (m)

i hope the family find peace and consolation, that death is not the end but a door. may Jesus support them, in this time of sorrow.
Reply
ruthie at 09:54 AM, 3/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(17435 | Hero) (f)

please stop using candles o....RIP
Reply
kixme at 10:36 AM, 3/10/2017 (2 years ago)
(2186 | Gistmaniac) (m)

I hate this kind of story...Technology has made things very easy for man kind. Hw much is the standing light, rechargeable lanterns  which will even save money compared to buying candles on daily basis.....

i dey come meet you dia with my koboko well soaked in kerosene mixed with Cameron pepper.




Reply

LATEST COMMENTS

  1. blowout on: Check Out The 15 Popular Sleep Beliefs That Are False
    Interesting article... 43 mins ago
  2. Doyourworst on: Nigerians Trafficked To Beirut For Jobs That Doesn't Exist Cries Out
    I've said it before, if you must travel to Abroad, Europe remains your best Choice!. Most of th... 1 hr ago
  3. Olandetujaa on: I Married Him When He Was Blind But Now That He Can See He Said He Want A Divorce - Lady Cries
    be writing fake stories up and down....... 1 hr ago
  4. Doyourworst on: Barrister, Chima Anozie Talks About Fr. Mbaka Prophecies In New Video
    Spiritually Bankrupt!. Nonsense. ... 1 hr ago
  5. Baye77 on: Company Bans "Mad Oh" and Other Marlian Slangs In Its Premises (See Poster)
    Yea correct. ... 2 hrs ago