56yr-Old Food Seller, Mrs Florence Imoh Electrocuted In Lagos

Published 6 days ago by: kaygee
at 03:43 PM, 10/06/2019 (6 days ago)

(4051 | Gistmaniac) Online (m)



A food seller, Mrs Florence Imoh, 58, was electrocuted at her shop at Ikotun, a Lagos suburb in Igando/Ikotun Local Council Development Area, early on Monday morning. A News Agency of Nigeria correspondent reports that Imoh was discovered by neighbours early on Monday morning lying dead in front of her shop located at 12, Shosanya Street, Ijegun road in Ikotun.

Imoh’s neighbour, Mrs Mercy Alomona said she woke up to see the lifeless body of the woman clinging to the metal gates of her shop at around 6:30 a.m. Alomona said that the neighbours later discovered that Imoh’s death was due to a naked wire that supplied electricity from the pole that linked the building.

“Mama Chikodi as Imoh was fondly addressed, was trying to open the iron gate of her shop without noticing the contact and got electrocuted,’’ Alomona explained.

Another resident, Mr Sodiq Bello, said there was faulty electrical wiring in the building where the woman died. “We have searched for the cause of the death, and we noticed that a naked wire was resting on the metallic sides of the roof, which had transmitted to other metallic objects in the shop.

“The building has an electrical defect. “She was trying to come out from the shop when the incident happened. “Mama Chikodi works and sleeps in the shop. She assists her younger sister in cooking and selling of food early morning,’’ Bello said.

In a telephone interview, the District Police Officer, Isheri/Osun Police Station, SP Rafiu Akinlade, said the police was notified of the incident. Akinlade said, “We have been informed and I have called Ikeja Electric about the development, and they have switched off the electricity in the area; this is to allow us to evacuate Imoh’s body.

“I have also directed my officers to go to the scene of the event from where the body was evacuated.” Akinlade said the Cross River State-born Imoh’s body had been taken to Isolo General Hospital mortuary. He said that the incident happened due to lack of insulator protection in the building, and was worsened by the rain. “If the building had an insulator, the insulator would have absorbed and protected the residents from any danger “Residents need to be careful and be vigilant, especially during and after rainfall. “When it rains, it is advisable to avoid touching iron or metal object,’’ the DPO said.

Problem with this article? Please contact us


LATEST COMMENTS

  1. christiano10 on: See Bobrisky's Glamorous Outfit To Tonto Dikeh's Birthday Party In Abuja
    Has the 14 years jail term been annulled, or they reserved it for only poor Nigerians that has no co... 5 mins ago
  2. james987 on: Video: Naira Marley Is A Dirty Looking Man – Controversial Social Media User, Bold Pink Says
    Yes he is dirty,prison cleaned him up. Someone should do a comparison before and after he came out o... 12 mins ago
  3. james987 on: "Happy Father's Day To The Man Who Made Me A Mother" - Sophia Momodu Tells Davido
    Last last we know say na you be davido wife. And na you he must marry. ... 14 mins ago
  4. james987 on: "The Gorilla Must Vomit The Stolen N6.8m" – Kano Governor, Ganduje Says As He Orders For Probe
    Buhari dey fight corruption but people dey steal broad day light come lie APC kind of lie. The corru... 15 mins ago
  5. Platinum1982 on: Don't Spare Traffic Offenders, Sanwo-Olu Tasks LASTMA
    [quote author=Platinum1982 link=topic=391507.msg5550581#msg5550581 date=1560771790]Good measure your... 57 mins ago