why is it that african parents dislike foreigners marrying to their children?

Date: 13-12-2010 5:03 am (13 years ago) | Author: stacey denton
- at 13-12-2010 05:03 AM (13 years ago)
(f)
It has been my observation, that Africans especially men, who marry outside of their culture often have issues with their families regarding the decision. I have a friend who had a baby with a nigerian man, and he refused to marry her, but three years later married an african women, and still is in relationship with the american girl. It is sad the way that some women of other cultures are abused because of differences. Does anyone care to comment on this situation. I know that keeping within your culture is important, but if the marriage is real and stable why worry?

Posted: at 13-12-2010 05:03 AM (13 years ago) | Newbie
- juleshotluv at 13-12-2010 05:54 AM (13 years ago)
(f)
Quote from: lyfie09 on 13-12-2010 05:03 AM
It has been my observation, that Africans especially men, who marry outside of their culture often have issues with their families regarding the decision. I have a friend who had a baby with a nigerian man, and he refused to marry her, but three years later married an african women, and still is in relationship with the american girl. It is sad the way that some women of other cultures are abused because of differences. Does anyone care to comment on this situation. I know that keeping within your culture is important, but if the marriage is real and stable why worry?

I dont understand the part highlighted in red? Huh? Undecided


Although, some people do take their culture very seriously, at times its good for people involved in such culture to know what is required of them so that when they are deeply involved with someone, they would not regret leaving them because their culture is against it. I would say know where you stand with your cultural belief before involving yourself in something that would leave you heart broken.
Posted: at 13-12-2010 05:54 AM (13 years ago) | Gistmaniac
Reply
- juleshotluv at 13-12-2010 05:58 AM (13 years ago)
(f)
Oh, on a second thought; forget about the highlighted part.


 I think i got it now..so, if he is married then why is he still with the person whom he refused to marry at first? And why is the American woman still allowing him to come back to her; if she knows every well that the man is married now? I dont get some people... Undecided
Posted: at 13-12-2010 05:58 AM (13 years ago) | Gistmaniac
Reply
- Ifogra at 10-11-2011 11:53 AM (12 years ago)
(m)
Cultural differences is a real threat to successful marriage
Posted: at 10-11-2011 11:53 AM (12 years ago) | Upcoming
Reply
- sophiebaby at 10-11-2011 11:58 AM (12 years ago)
(f)
brb

Posted: at 10-11-2011 11:58 AM (12 years ago) | Addicted Hero
Reply
- giftmurphy at 10-11-2011 12:33 PM (12 years ago)
(f)
hmmn.it depends
Posted: at 10-11-2011 12:33 PM (12 years ago) | Hero
Reply
- Liliya at 10-11-2011 01:07 PM (12 years ago)
(f)
we africans have this deep seated family attachment which makes parents feel you will be taken away and you will forget family and home. neverthless, i have seen lots of ppl married to foreigners and keep close connection with the family...it all depends on understanding and ofcose, LOVE Cool
Posted: at 10-11-2011 01:07 PM (12 years ago) | Upcoming
Reply
- dlimelite at 9-07-2012 07:01 AM (11 years ago)
(f)
They wanna keep the family heritage, background, culture, tradition, and for some race constant in the family lineage. Some also feel comfortable when their kids marry from the same country/tribe cuz they'll be able to relate well with both sides of the family communicate in the same language practice same culture/traditions. Etc. But in interracial marriages or marrying to ppl from other countries it's different.
Posted: at 9-07-2012 07:01 AM (11 years ago) | Hero
Reply
- wandepope at 9-07-2012 07:59 AM (11 years ago)
(m)
Some families don't like mixed breed by this i mean they even insist on marrying  from the same tribe(pure blood).Some just like continuity of traditional heritage.Some others are just selfish and ignorant.
Posted: at 9-07-2012 07:59 AM (11 years ago) | Upcoming
Reply
- gimac at 10-07-2012 07:57 AM (11 years ago)
(m)
go to relationship an married,when you married outsider your married become something else
Posted: at 10-07-2012 07:57 AM (11 years ago) | Hero
Reply
- Treasure2 at 10-07-2012 09:14 AM (11 years ago)
(f)
Quote from: wandepope on  9-07-2012 07:59 AM
Some families don't like mixed breed by this i mean they even insist on marrying  from the same tribe(pure blood).Some just like continuity of traditional heritage.Some others are just selfish and ignorant.
Gbam.
Posted: at 10-07-2012 09:14 AM (11 years ago) | Hero
Reply
- jeffrey42 at 30-07-2012 04:04 PM (11 years ago)
(m)
i personally beleived it depend on individual, and some family are still in that taught. i am still with mine, after 19yrs
Posted: at 30-07-2012 04:04 PM (11 years ago) | Newbie
Reply
- Treasure2 at 30-07-2012 04:06 PM (11 years ago)
(f)
Hmmm
Posted: at 30-07-2012 04:06 PM (11 years ago) | Hero
Reply
- robin58 at 31-07-2012 12:54 PM (11 years ago)
(m)
Quote from: dlimelite on  9-07-2012 07:01 AM
They wanna keep the family heritage, background, culture, tradition, and for some race constant in the family lineage. Some also feel comfortable when their kids marry from the same country/tribe cuz they'll be able to relate well with both sides of the family communicate in the same language practice same culture/traditions. Etc. But in interracial marriages or marrying to ppl from other countries it's different.
dlimelite........how nice it is to see at least one sensible person on this site. As a foreigner whose married to a Nigerian woman it's an interesting subject. I know my wifes side of the family and my wife knows my side of the family. If you want to talk about cultural differences, my side have asked for nothing from my wifes side, but my wifes relatives are alaways asking me for money as almost none of them are working, have no hope for a job and just want to sponge off me. Apart from that I really like my wifes Mother who is a hard working Nigerian woman, I just wish all her kids would try and do something with their lives. by the way, we live in Europe and my wife has settled in very well into a majority white culture but still remains in regular contact with all her family.
Posted: at 31-07-2012 12:54 PM (11 years ago) | Newbie
Reply
- katung44 at 31-07-2012 01:03 PM (11 years ago)
(m)
Insecurity is largely the reason for that. Nigeria inherited a 'racist' attitude from our English Colonial masters which is the basis for our tribalism problem
Posted: at 31-07-2012 01:03 PM (11 years ago) | Upcoming
Reply
- Treasure2 at 31-07-2012 02:05 PM (11 years ago)
(f)
 Grin Grin Grin Grin
Posted: at 31-07-2012 02:05 PM (11 years ago) | Hero
Reply