Two feared dead as mobs dislodge ex-LG bosses

Published 8 years ago by: Aliuniyi lawal
at 02:19 PM, 19/11/2010 (8 years ago)

(1374 | Gistmaniac) (m)

Two persons were feared dead and an unspecified number injured as mobs confronted some sacked local government chairmen who tried to resume forcibly in their offices on Thursday.


Our correspondent, who monitored the situation in some local government areas, observed that the former chairmen of some councils, such as Ido-Osi, Ado-Ekiti and Ijero resumed for work at the council secretariats. They were, however, dislodged by angry mobs before the newly inaugurated caretaker committee chairmen resumed in their new offices.


Many persons were reportedly injured in the clashes between supporters of the sacked local government bosses and the mobs.


THE PUNCH learnt that two persons were feared killed in the violence that broke out at Ijero Local Government Secretariat. Two vehicles were reportedly set ablaze and part of the secretariat was affected by the fire from the cars.


Witnesses claimed that the former vice-chairman of Oye Local Government, Mr. Segun Amuagun, and a former political office-holder, Mr. John Ogunmoyi, were attacked with machetes by unkown persons. The victims were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Ido-Ekiti for medical attention.


Our correspondent observed a detachment of policemen and National Security and Civil Defence Corps operatives at the secretariat of Efon-Alaaye Local Government around noon. Angry demonstrators lit bonfires at the entrance of the secretariat but nobody could confirm how many people were injured in a clash that broke out earlier in the day.


Two different groups of suspected thugs brandished various types of weapons around the secretariat but security agents later restored order to the area.


At Ado-Ekiti Local Government secretariat, the sacked council boss, Mrs. Tosin Aluko, resumed at her office. But she was later chased away by some angry youths, who stripped her naked and damaged her official Sport Utility Van. The secretariat of Ikere Local Government was easily taken over by the chairman and members of its caretaker committee.


In Ido-Osi, the former council chairman, who got into his office, prevented the caretaker committee boss from getting into the place. In the ensuing clash, some vehicles were vandalised while motorists were molested.


THE PUNCH learnt that a crowd of youths mobilised and dislodged the former council boss from the office, paving the way for members of the caretaker committee to be ushered into the secretariat, amid singing and dancing.


The spokesman of the state police command, Mr. Mohammed Jimoh, who confirmed the clashes to THE PUNCH on the telephone, said the situation had been brought under control. Jimoh, however, said no lives were lost in the crisis.


“There was no loss of life anywhere. Of course there were clashes in some areas but we are on top of the situation. I will find out and tell you later if there was any arrest,” he said.


Meanwhile, Governor Kayode Fayemi has assured that the state government will deal with the alleged perpetrators of the violence. Fayemi, in a statement made available to journalists in Ado-Ekiti by his Senior Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Mojeed Jamiu, urged local government workers and residents of the state to go about their lawful business.


The statement reads in part, “All local government workers and Ekiti residents are hereby urged to go about their normal activities without fear of molestation or harassment as the security agents are firmly in control.


“The government wishes to warn all trouble makers that the full weight of the law shall be visited on anyone causing a breach of the peace.


“The government enjoins all stakeholders to join hands with the newly sworn-in local government representatives so as to fast-track development at the grass roots level.”


Jamiu further said the first assignment performed by the new chief executives of the councils was the swearing in of other members of the seven-member caretaker committees appointed by the governor.


It also added that members of caretaker committees were successfully sworn in in 15 out of the 16 local governments in the state. The only exception, according to the governor’s aide, was Ekiti South West (Ilawe) because the new caretaker chairman had travelled to Saudi Arabia to perform this year’s Hajj.

Problem with this article? Please contact us


saffronglory at 01:29 PM, 20/11/2010 (8 years ago)
(447 | Upcoming) (m)

SORRY FOR THE LOSS
Reply

LATEST COMMENTS

  1. maxzy277 on: Followers Attack Bobrisky For Displaying A Firman Generator Key As Lexus Car Key (WATCH)
    Can’t people leave this he/she goat alone for ones ;D... 8 mins ago
  2. dopygenius on: PHOTOS: Die-Hard Female Burna Boy Fan Tattoos His Face On Her Back
    This one is a fool... 12 mins ago
  3. Baye77 on: "Please Leave My Man Alone, You Came To Atlanta To Sleep with My Man For $200"-Girl Blasts Nina
    You are not even ashamed to come rant here that someone slept with your boyfriend for $200...if u ca... 19 mins ago
  4. willyking on: Nigerian Lady Shares Text Message She Got From Her Ex-Boyfriend Begging Her For S3x
    Is very clear that this guy must have gone through a lot for loving this stupid girl, poor guy she s... 20 mins ago
  5. Baye77 on: Blac Chyna Puts Her Side Bosom On Display In New Racy Photos
    Nothing we haven't seen before ::)... 24 mins ago