Fire guts Redeemers varsity’s hostel

Published 7 years ago by: Paddy Hayes
at 07:41 AM, 6/06/2012 (7 years ago)

(3516 | Gistmaniac) (m)

June 6, 2012 by Temitayo Famutimi
 
There was panic at the Queen Esther Hostel of the Redeemers University, Ogun State, on Tuesday as one of the rooms was gutted by fire.
 
PUNCH Metro learnt that the fire started from a faulty air conditioner in Room D2.
 
However, when the incident happened the three occupants of the room were not in.
 
A resident of the hostel, who craved anonymity, said the occupants were relocated because the room suffered leakage whenever it rained.
 
She said, “There was nobody in the room when the incident happened. They had been relocated to another room pending the fixing of the leaking section which we learnt was as a result of a construction defects. What they do is that they just come into the room, pick their things and dash out.”
 
She added that the frequent power outages on Monday might have damaged the AC before it caught fire.
 
She said, “The AC worked overnight despite the fact that nobody was sleeping there. Unfortunately, the electricity supply to the hostel was going on and off yesterday (on Monday). That must have damaged the AC before it caught fire.”
 
A student, who also craved anonymity, said the smoke emanating from the hostel caused panic as students feared it could extend to other rooms on the ground floor.
 
She said, “Panic gripped everyone on the ground floor here as a great cloud of smoke billowed out of the room. We then started pouring water through the window before the Fire and Safety Department arrived.”
 
When contacted, the Students’ Affairs Officer of the university, Mr. Ademola Ipesko, confirmed the incident.
 
He said, “The fire started from an air conditioner which got faulty after working overnight. The fire was brought under control by the joint efforts of the students and the Fire and Safety Services Department. The fire department moved promptly to the scene after receiving a distress call from one of the students.”
 
Ipesko said apart from Room D2 where the fire started, the smoke also affected Room D1 resulting in the relocation of occupants.
 
via Punch

http://www.punchng.com/metro/fire-guts-redeemers-varsitys-hostel/

Problem with this article? Please contact us



chicco77 at 06:54 AM, 24/08/2012 (7 years ago)
(22128 | Addicted Hero) (f)

 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Reply
cocoeni at 03:27 PM, 4/10/2012 (7 years ago)
(14199 | Hero) (f)

nawaooh
Reply
ezchusa at 04:08 PM, 28/01/2013 (7 years ago)
(3651 | Gistmaniac) (m)

 Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Reply

LATEST COMMENTS

  1. Jayben5 on: AUDIO WEDDING! Newly Married BBNaija Star, Nina Ivy's Husband Wasn't Present At Her Wedding
    Unbelievable! Who knows if she is trying to prevent an eventual divorce that has dominated the Niger... 1 hr ago
  2. smart61 on: More Wedding Photos Of Anita Joseph and Her Husband MC Fish
    The husband with his antelope legs dey climb this heavy duty yansh. You sure say no be load wey pass... 1 hr ago
  3. Bebold on: VIDEO: "I am a Proud Single Mother" - Tboss Cries As Trolls Attack Her Daughter
    Depression ... 2 hrs ago
  4. Abogado on: "Christian Nation Should Not Support Gay Marriage" - Reno Omokri Speaks
    Say no to same sex ... 2 hrs ago
  5. olowoinlionsden on: Work With Me! New Bayelsa Gov. Diri Begs Ousted Gov.Lyon, Sylva Other APC Members
    Good idea.  Since Mary Odili led Supreme Court had declared a Governor and his Deputy are one a... 3 hrs ago